Thursday, September 6, 2012

In Love of People.

Last night, I went through our digital photos--all 9,800 of them. I did not plan this. I sat down at the computer to learn how to export edited LEGO shots to my iPhone. Once I learned how to get these initial pictures transferred, however, I figured I might as well take some time to save some others, just so I had them with me at all times.  But something happened as I began to roll through the years of images.

Gradually, the photos became moments in time, memories of simpler days and blessed fellowship, of joyful holidays and wonderful trips. They became a testament that things do not change but simply adapt--in spite of different locations or ages or participants (a reminder that is as relevant to me presently as it ever has been), life goes on and people are people. I saw some common threads formed throughout my life, evidenced by a thousand moments of it.

I could discuss all these threads but that would be too time-consuming. Rather, I will focus on one, the one that struck me with great conviction and has lingered in my mind since shutting down our computer last night. It's simple.

I love people.

In a sense I mean this somewhat nebulously, like when someone says "I love cats." They are giving felines a favored status by default, simply by virtue of their kind. I have the same feeling about folks, I love them and want for their best just because they are. Pictures reminded me of people who I barely met yet still remember, people for whom I care without knowing where they are, people who I may never see again on this side of life but with whom I hope to spend a thousand years in heaven, sipping tea on a porch just shooting the breeze.

Of course, I also mean this with specificity. I love my friends and family. I was almost tearful seeing their faces--their smiles, their glances, their poses struck for a laugh. I love them in as much as I know them, whether that be due to long evenings of deep talking or countless hours spent at gatherings. I love them for who they are, and in many ways I love them because of who they are becoming. I love the ones I see often and the ones who I don't. When it comes to those with whom I have really shared life, I just love these people.

That being said, I am just feeling blessed this morning.  I grew up with wonderful family, married into a wonderful family, and I have had amazing friends all along the way.

I wonder who I'll meet tomorrow...whoever they are, I kind of love them already.

No comments:

Post a Comment