Monday, May 13, 2013

Memorization: Habakkuk 3:17-19

I have spoken about the value of setting Scripture to rhythm/music in order to better remember it. I recently set the following passage to a melody similar to "Nothing Can Come Between Us" by Sade, which allowed me to complete the memorization in a week's time. I would provide you a voice memo of myself singing, I but I want this to be an uplifting experience for you, and I have found that my singing does little good in that regard. So, you have link to the song above, and I will provide the text below: 

Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
And there be no herd be in the stalls,
yet I rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the LORD, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on the high places. 

To the choir master: with stringed instruments

Oh how I have needed this Scripture for this season of my life. After nine months unemployed and a number of false starts, I truly feel some days that there is neither fruit on the vines nor herd in the stalls. Some days, primarily Mondays and month's end, that reality strikes me.

But thankfully, the Lord brought this Scripture to me (or brought me to this Scripture) knowing I would need it now, and I cannot tell you the number of times he has shifted my attitude and my outlook based on it. It's one thing to know Scripture; it's another to discover it in the midst of a season of patience and growth, and it's an altogether powerful experience to have it speak to you in such way that it reminds you of truth, reforms your focus, and brings you great joy, solace, and peace in the process. What a gift from God we have in Scripture and from his using it in a compounded way, not only to teach of us of himself but make us revel in that teaching.

Are you in a season where you feel the produce of the olive has failed or the fields have yielded no food? I encourage you to commit these verses to memory. You don't have to you use Sade (as catchy as her music is), but setting it to rhythm/music song helps. When you feel that weight of unmet expectation, of brokenheartedness or failure, sing to the Lord this song of praise, more than once if necessary. You may be shocked at how joyous you truly become by the end of said worship.

Frankly, my sharing this song now is as pertinent as it may ever be, for I am nervous that I not only need this passage at present but more so this summer when Stronghold releases. That could surely result in feelings of failed produce. But then, even then, I hope that Habakkuk 3:17-19 will resound from my lips. And yours. 

Thanks for reading, I hope your week is wonderful,
C

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment