Saturday, September 29, 2012

Memorization: Colossians 3, Part 2


After my Morning and Evening posts from Thursday, I thought I would give you guys a break and post something a little less me and far more Christ-honoring and encouraging--Scripture.

In a post I wrote here, I explain my current year-long plan to memorize thirty passages of Scripture for my thirtieth year of life. One such passage on which I have been working is Colossians 3. Today, I offer the chapter in its entirety, plus the first verse of chapter 4 as a kicker.

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things that are on the earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears; then you also will appear with him in glory. 
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked when you were living in them. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all and in all. 
Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,  compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body.  And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your heart to God. And whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. 
Wives, submit to your husband, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with the. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do you not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality. Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven."

I gotta admit; I had a few mistakes I had to go back and correct (wanna share the verses accurately, you know). If I were grading it, I'd have given myself an 87%--about a percentage point off for each error.  Looks like I'll need to review this perpetually for it to stick.

Thanks for reading!! I picked up a short passage in Romans that I will share next week. Now onto a doozy from I John 3.

C

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment