Wednesday, October 22, 2014

In God's Image : Illustrator : Javier Saltares

Over the last several months, I've had the privilege of working with Art Ayris and his team at Kingstone Media. One of Kingstone's collaborators is Javier "Jarv" Saltares, an illustrator whose art you have likely seen. He has worked on Wolverine and Ghost Rider for Marvel, as well as G.I. Joe for IDW (he was penciller on the acclaimed "Cobra: Civil War" arc). 

Jarv also did work on Book of God, which I recommended earlier this year, and he was kind enough to participate in 3LC's ongoing "In God's Image" series. Below are his answers to our standard questions, and I hope you'll take the time to get to know him better and seek out some of his work. 

1. Define yourself in one word (Disciple, Christian, American, Man, etc.) 

Man

2. Why do you choose that term?

That’s what I am, one of many.


3. In two sentences, tell us about your artistic endeavors, what you produce and who you see as your audience?

I am a story teller. That’s why I choose to illustrate comics. I love the idea of telling stories visually. Words are fine but pictures fill in blanks words can’t. My audience is anyone who enjoys the same.


4. What was the latest comic to feature your art and what led to its creation? Can you give us your favorite three books on which you’ve worked?

Latest book I’ve worked on is “Esther” for Kingstone Media. It was written by Ben Avery. A fun book. Favorite books I’ve worked on are my own David’s Mighty Men, Ghost Rider, and Wolverine. (Still a comic geek.)


5. How has your career as an artist required you to sacrifice? 

Having to work to put food on the table always gets in the way of working on things I would much rather be doing. I sacrifice doing my own projects to work for others. I also sacrifice a steady income. This life isn’t for everyone.


6. What is your primary goal as an artist? 

To produce something others truly enjoy. That they find some personal value in it. 


7. What is your largest hope for those who engage your art? 

To be effected by it in the way that I am while I’m doing it. That we, the audience and I, make that connection.


8. What are two key ways in which you believe your art benefits readers today?

Hopefully, that they are moved and inspired by it.


9. How have you seen God’s goodness and faithfulness in your work?

The fact that others are willing to pay me to do something I enjoy is all the goodness need.


10. How can readers learn more about you and your art?

Google my name. There’s plenty out there about me and my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment