Monday, December 9, 2013

Scripture Memory: Lamentations 3:21-42

In a recent post about holding to hope, I referenced my attempts to memorize Lamentations 3:21-42, and today I have included the passage for you all. I cannot tell you the number times I have recited it to myself in the last few weeks, in part or in full, and how often its truth has provided relief, peace, and focus. The passage is truly wonderful, but I need not speak for it. Read below and you will see what I mean:



But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end; 
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.”

The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
 It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.

 Let him sit alone in silence when it is laid on him;
 let him put his mouth in the dust—there may yet be hope;
 let him give his cheek to the one who strikes,
and let him be filled with insults.

For the Lord will not cast off forever,
but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion
according to the abundance of his steadfast love;
for he does not afflict from his heart
or grieve the children of men.

To crush underfoot all the prisoners of the earth,
to deny a man justice in the presence of the Most High,
to subvert a man in his lawsuit, the Lord does not approve.

Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?
Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?
Why should a living man complain, a man, about the punishment of his sins?

Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord!
Let us lift up our hearts and hands to God in heaven:
“We have transgressed and rebelled, and you have not forgiven."



I love that the passage is divided into easily-memorable segments the "to" portion, the question portion, and the "let him" portion among others--all allow for digestible chunks on which to muse from day-to-day or week-to-week, slowly embedding the truth into one's heart and mind so that when the time comes--and it will come--when you are tired or angry or over-whelmed, you will remember "Great is thy Faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion,'"

May we always seek to recall it during this season. Thanks for reading,

C.J.

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Inclusion of this translation does not imply endorsement of this author's thoughts by the copyright holders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment