Friday, January 18, 2013

Memorization: 2 Samuel 22:1-4

The latest passage I am memorizing comes from an organic and expected place: a song, to which I cannot remember the lyrics, less a few, that are as follows:

I will call upon the Lord,
(echoed) I will call upon the Lord,
who is worthy to praised.
(echoed) who is worthy to praised.
So shall I be saved from mine enemies.
I will call upon the Lord.

Come to think of it, that may be the entire song.

Anyway, I sang these words countless times in youth group during my teen years, and I have always loved the song but never known its Scriptural origins. Now I do, for they are in 2 Samuel 22:1-4.

And David spoke to the Lord the words of this song on the day when the Lord delivered him from the hand of  all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God and my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my Savior; you save me from violence. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

I love this. I recall that my affinity for Jeremiah 29:11 and Proverbs 3:5-6 also began with the love of songs that were drawn from those verses. When I do the digging and find the Scripture behind such useful and valuable worship, I cannot help but also love the verses, and love them a great deal more than the songs, for that matter.

How bout you?  Any songs based on direct texts of Scripture that move you?

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment